Related Links and Pages from Other Sources

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Long time no post (AGAIN)

Wow ... yeah ... it HAS been a long time.

Now, I certainly haven't abandoned the SCA. I've been to a number of events and have continued to serve my Barony as a herald. But I've been focusing, by necessity, on trying to find gainful employment.

Still, I was happy to see that Wikipedia featured the article on the history of Lithuania from 1219 to 1295 in honor of today's independence/statehood day in Lithuania. Technically, today's holiday has nothing to do with the 13th century -- it's the "Day of Re-establishment of the State of Lithuania" dating from 1918. Modern Lithuania has two other statehood holidays -- the "Day of Restitution of Independence of Lithuania" on March 11 (commemorating its departure from the Soviet Union in 1990) and "Statehood Day" on July 6 (the anniversary of the crowning of Mindaugas in 1253, which actually did happen in the 13th century).

I still haven't given up my thought of teaching a class focusing on Lithuanian women (or, more broadly, Baltic women). It's just that, right now, economic survival comes first.

2 comments:

  1. I saw that! Both it and the Copernicus Google Doodle yestderday made me happy - and also amused.

    I'd be really interested in comparing sources with you on the Baltic women topic. My focus right now is on research and A&S entry in pre-state women's material culture - especially dress and jewelry, and to a lesser extent domestic wares - and it would be useful to put that in a broader context!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "But I've been focusing, by necessity, on trying to find gainful employment."

    Me too, Patricia. Fortunately I've been doing some part-time work at home. So I've been at my machine a lot and have managed to do a little blogging. Not as much as I'd like, though.

    Good luck in your job search!

    ReplyDelete